mardi, 23, décembre 2014
- Filed under:
- The River Lee
Happy Christmas from our Kitchen
The Cork English Market, the new wave of artisan producers, the generations of local farmers and the passion for craft beers, cider and coffee found in Cork allows us the opportunity to source almost all ingredients locally.
The Cork English Market is truly a chef’s paradise. With countless local vendors offering traditional produce sourced right here in Cork, our food is very much inspired by the suppliers. Apart from the market, Cork is chock-full of artisans like Michael Twomey Butchers in Macroom and Toonsbridge Mozzarella, two of our most treasured suppliers.
Michael Twomey’s is a third generation butcher who constantly evolves to enhance the flavour of his own beef. Toonsbridge brought a herd of water buffalo to Macroom and now makes incredible mozzarella. Both benefit from the incredible pastureland of Cork that gives way to an end product second to none.
At the River Lee Hotel, we benefit from fresh produce unique to Cork and the ability to create dishes uniquely our own.
In Cork, we are positively spoilt for choice when it comes to fresh fish. Our Castletownbere crab claws are to die for: simple and fresh. Over Christmas, you can expect to nibble on superb Skeghanamore duck spring rolls, sourced right here in Cork, naturally.
We don’t keep all our dishes top secret. Here’s the recipe for our Christmas Ardsallagh Goat’s Cheese & Superfood Salad:
Christmas Ardsallagh Goat’s Cheese and Super Food Salad
Makes 4 salads
- 4 large leaves of kale, Blanched and cut
- A handful of baby spinach
- 1 small head baby gem lettuce, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, tender ends only, cut out 2 inch pieces (blanched, if desired)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- I avocado, cubed
- 2 inch Diakon radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 orange
- I palmful dried cranberries
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- I teaspoon Irish mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Rapeseed oil
- Ardsallagh Goat Cheese, crumbled
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the prepared Superfood ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently to mix.
- In a blender, combine the vinaigrette ingredients, leaving out the oil. Blend contents well. With the motor running, begin drizzling in the oil until well emulsified.
- Plate the salad in individual servings with a garnish of goat cheese and Pumpkin seeds, and a light sprinkling of salt and or black pepper. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top.
Enjoy and Happy Christmas from the River Lee Hotel.